PMP candidates should know there is a much easier certification called CompTIA Project+. Below are answers to the 5 most-asked questions I am often asked in my PMP classes about the Project+ cert:
Q1. I’ve heard that the Project+ certification is based on the same “PMBOK” material as the PMP and CAPM. Is that true?
A. Yes, per the CompTIA website the current Project+ exam maps to the PMBOK Guide V4 from PMI.
Q2. Is it true that the Project+ test is shorter and easier than the PMP/CAPM?
A. Yes, it’s only 95 questions in 90 minutes.
Q3. I’ve heard that unlike the PMI certifications, there is no experience or education pre-req for the Project+?
A. That is true, you just sign up and pay for the test, and as soon as you pass, you are a CompTIA Project+ certified PM.
Q4. Is it as good on your resume as the CAPM/PMP?
A. NO, the Project+ is generally NOT considered as strong on your resume (See Q2 and Q3 above). HOWEVER, here are 3 good reasons to consider this certification: (even if you’re ultimately going for your PMP/CAPM)
- For your resume / job search – It shows you passed an exam based on the same PMBOK material as the CAPM/PMP, and the certification can help you get some interviews you wouldn’t otherwise get.
- Takes much less time commitment.
- As a “Stepping-Stone” / Confidence-Builder – Many PMs use the Project+ certification as a “stepping-stone” toward their PMP/CAPM. Meaning they take a PMP class, pass the Project+ exam, add the certification to their resume, gain confidence, and often go on to get their CAPM or PMP.
Q5. Who is CompTIA?
A. CompTIA is a highly-respected certification body, issuer of many well-known technical certifications (primarily for IT people) including:
- Advanced Security Practitioner,
- Cloud Essentials,
- Green IT,
- Healthcare IT,
- IT For Sales,
- Storage+, and more.
In addition, CompTIA offers the Certified Technical Trainer (CTT+) certification which helps qualify many trainers to teach popular software products from Microsoft. The CTT+ (which I hold) is also a pre-requisite for the Adobe Certified Instructor (ACI) and other certifications.
- For more about the CAPM/PMP skills and certifications, see my book: “The Project Management Answer Book” (2011, Management Concepts, Vienna, VA)
- For info about: My next 2 PM classes coming up at NYU Fall Semester 2012
~PMP Project Management Instructor / CTT+ Train-the-Trainer Instructor
Any questions, feel free to ask as a “COMMENT” (below), or email me at Jeff@Jeff-Furman.com.