Many PMP Prep courses are referred to as the firehose approach: overwhelming amounts of info blasted at the students (NOT to learn it all initially, but just to be ‘exposed’ to it). But that approach isn’t for everyone.
I’ve been teaching PMP for more than 10 years with a NON-firehose approach (NYU SPS for the past 4 years and the US Army for the past 5 years). And I have had a great many ‘student success stories’ – some have gone on to Master’s Programs in PM; some have gotten their CSM, PgMP®, PMI-ACP® and other certifications after their PMP; some are teaching PMP; and many have gotten bigger and better positions with the help of their PMP® or CAPM® after my class.
My NON-Firehose Format:
- 5 sessions over 5 weeks – I give my PMP Prep classes over 5 consecutive Saturdays or Sundays, which allows time to absorb the material and do reading between classes.
- 2 kinds of homework
- Multiple Choice – I give my students sets of selected PMP practice questions each week (multiple choice, like on the real exam).
- Fill-In-The-Blanks – I also assign a lot of fill-in-the-blank questions, which reinforce understanding, and encourage drill-down on the material.
3. Skills-based approach: I help my students learn the best practices with real-world application in mind – not just to memorize terms for the test, but to learn the skills well enough to quickly apply them on-the-job. And to be able to talk knowledgeably about them on job interviews.
My Upcoming Courses (Fall 2016) At NYU SPS:
- PMP Prep (starts October 1)
- Critical Path Method (1-day seminar, November 12)
- Earned Value Management (1-day seminar, November 19)
- Ethics In PM (starts December 3)
- Persuasive Presentations For PMs (Starts September 22)
You Might Also Like To See
- Early Heads-Up: PMBOK V6 Scheduled For Release In 3rd Quarter 2017
- Did You Know There Are Tools To Help With The CAPM?
- 10% Discount thru Aug. 31 on The PM Prepcast (w. coupon code Aug16)
Disclaimer – I receive a commission on the Prepcast purchased by the above link
Mavis: “This book has a lot of tasty PMP Tips!”