“Out Of Time” – Rolling Stones
The PMP Exam is changing on March 26, so you still have almost 5 weeks.
But there are 3 Things Which Could Slow You Down Big-Time:
1) “Your Application Has Been Rejected”
If your application gets rejected by PMI, you will have to revise it ASAP & resubmit (probably will take a few days to revise. And then you’ll have the 5 days again to wait for PMI to reprocess the new application.
2) “You Have Been Selected For An Audit”
- Every PMP Candidate faces a 1 in 10 chance of being audited
- PMI currently has a back-log of Audits, causing PMI to take 2 weeks on average to process your audit AFTER you send in your Audit Materials.
- And putting your Audit Materials together usually takes at least a few days.
3) Both #1 and #2 (Above)
It happens probably every day that someone in the world goes through the submission process, gets rejected (#1 above), resubmits, gets accepted, goes to schedule their test, and then gets hit with the Audit (#2 above).
A few DOs & DON’Ts for getting your application right
- DON’T just cut-and-paste bullets from your resume
- DO describe your work on the project in terms PMI will understand
- DON’T just list a lot of terms like: “WBS, Risk Register, Charter”
- DO explain your role in creating each document, and put it in the context of the appropriate PMI Domain and Process
- DON’T just describe the components of the project
- DO focus on what YOU did to manage each component
- DON’T just focus on your role as an individual contributor / technician
- DO focus on what you did wearing your “Manager’s Hat” (managing the team, working with your Stakeholders, etc.)
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE TO SEE:
1. My Next 4 PMP Classes for NYU SPS:
- PMP PREP: Sundays, April 8 – May 6 (Section 3)
- PMP PREP: Tuesday & Thursday evenings, April 3 – May 3 (Section 4)
- Critical Path Method: 1-Day Intensive, Sunday, Feb. 25 (Advanced Class, 8 PDUs for PMP credential-holders, also helps give an edge toward the PMP / CAPM tests)
- Earned Value Management: 1-Day Intensive, Sunday, March 4 (Advanced Class, 8 PDUs, also helps give an edge toward the PMP / CAPM tests)
2. My Book: The Project Management Answer Book, 2nd Edition